Wednesday 8 April 2009

Intercultural Readiness Self Assessment

Characteristic: Open-mindedness
Current Self estimate: 70
Target after trip: 80
When I come here, I will have to learn their style of doing things, thus have to be open minded. Expose to more undiscovered things, to have a clearer image of the outside world, and to develop a better mindset.

Characteristic: Respect for other belief
Current Self estimate: 80
Target after trip: 90
I have learned to respect regardless of race, language and religion in Singapore. Thus, coming to China, I have to accept their language, culture and to respect them equally.


Characteristic: Trust in other beliefs
Current Self estimate: 70
Target after trip: 75
I trust each and everyone, as trust is the key to make the team work very good, strong and able to communicate well. We also have to trust our teachers, without their knowledge, we can’t extent the limit of learning.


Characteristic: Tolerance for discomfort
Current Self estimate: 55
Target after trip: 70
I may have used staying in Singapore, and now living in China, have to tolerate their way of doing things like shit in public, bang one another like it is alright to get banged.


Characteristic: Tolerance for discomfort
Current Self estimate: 50
Target after trip: 75
Doubts always occur anywhere, anytime. In times like this, we have to manage things and try to handle it well.


Characteristic: Patience
Current Self estimate: 50
Target after trip: 85
At times I can get very impatience. But I realized that patience can lead to my goals easily. Don’t rush all at once and try to handle things well.


Characteristic: Sense of personal control
Current Self estimate: 60
Target after trip: 80
As living in China, I learned to control my own behavior, my finance, my health and in food. And living in hostel with friends, have to learn to forgive and forget.


Characteristic: Interpersonal skills
Current Self estimate: 50
Target after trip: 70
I need to improve my Chinese as effective communication to give myself a good impression and able to express things easily. It can to clear any misunderstandings.


Characteristic: Willingness to take initiative
Current Self estimate: 60
Target after trip: 85
I won’t get to learn any unless I take initiative to learn, to take. Taking initiative can also improve group relationships and to also to help one another to greater level.


Characteristic: Willingness to take risk
Current Self estimate: 50
Target after trip: 90
Without risk, I may not learn more things even if it is a bad or good situations, I should try it out. In order to understand the outside world well.


Characteristic: Sense of humor
Current Self estimate: 70
Target after trip: 80
Sense of humor is one of the areas to please people. In future, in work or talking with people, I can use this area to express myself in a better way.


Characteristic: Curiosity about other cultures
Current Self estimate: 50
Target after trip: 90
I always very eager to discover their culture, their world. In Singapore, there is a limit of knowledge. In China, I can understand other religions like Taoism.


Characteristic: comfort level with strangers
Current Self estimate: 10
Target after trip: 70
I dislike talking to strangers as I don’t know their character well. But over in China, I will need to communicate with the people over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment